Wednesday, April 08, 2009

G.S. Wheelpeople


As some of you may know BikeReg had a hardware issue a few weeks ago and requested that recent customers verify their registration to make sure nothing was lost.

I had registered for D2R2 and half jokingly entered my team name as "Hope & Anchor", a side project that never really got started. When the problem hit I guess the team info was lost. Both Veg (also registered as H&A) and I had no team listed the next time I perused the rider list for familiar names.

I check yesterday to see if my friend John had committed yet and saw that next to my name was listed Narragansett Bay Wheelmen. I did not tell them that. I have been in the NBW on and off since 1984 but never raced under their banner (they used to be the parent club of the old RI Velo Club).

At the Jamestown race you will see some folks registered as NBW and at a lot of Randonees and UltraCycling events there are NBW riders (I guess we are a recognized club for these organizations). But that aside, I am curious as to how they knew I am a Wheelpeople and how it showed up on the list.

(The above photo is of two of our long time members Bob and Lee, and newer rider Jan at the rear. Bob, with the red helmet, is a Vietnam vet, retired postal worker, world traveler and all around great guy.)

3 comments:

solobreak said...

Wild guess - at some point you signed up for volunteer registration with them as an NBW?

Il Bruce said...

This was my first ever BikeReg transaction.

Il Bruce said...

No, you may be right. I volunteered for cyclocross nationals but not directly through them. I bet we all ended up on the same list though.

A tip of the hat anyway to BikeReg for going the extra mile to fill in the blanks.