Monday, December 11, 2006

Whiney Bitches?

This guy is crying 'cause he gots hisself suspended for missing 3 examen de dopage in 18 months. His excuse? I didn't wanna fill out the paperwork any more. He says he wasn't racing at the elite level, and didn't consider himself a racing cyclist any longer. He knew what was going on. RTFA. http://www.velonews.com/race/mtn/articles/11309.0.html

This on top of Race to Replace winner dissing Disco for signing Basso.

I think a lot of these elite to semi elite riders have lost sight of where they fit in. If you are on the out of competition list. It's a fact of life. You are there because you wanted to be at a certain level. Once it becomes too much, take care of it. Like paying your credit card bill. It's gotta be done, it's your responsibility. Do it, fucktard. Nobody cares about your story.










By Fred DreierVeloNews associate editor
This report filed December 11, 2006
On September 25, cross-country mountain biker Jimi Mortensen received a two-year doping suspension from the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) for missing three out-of-competition tests during an 18-month period from late 2004 to early 2005.
Mortensen wasn't exactly dodging the tests. The Eagle, Colorado, resident says he simply stopped filling out his USADA paperwork because he was fed up with being a part of USADA's out-of-competition testing group.
Mortensen became a member of the group after representing the United States at the 2003 world mountain-bike championships in Lugano, Switzerland. But after 2004, his career began to wind down, and Mortensen says he had become more focused on his new child, his tile business and his family life than racing bikes or putting his life on hold for drug testers.
USADA saw things otherwise.
"He didn't fill out the papers for four quarters and then was given the opportunity to show up for testing and didn't," said USADA general counsel Travis Tygart. "That's very grievous behavior. The rule is a fair rule. Fortunately the overwhelming majority of the athletes comply with it on any given quarter."
Following is an excerpt from an interview with Mortensen for an upcoming piece that will appear in the January 2007 issue of VeloNews. The magazine piece will include more comments from USADA on Mortensen's case, as well as the cases of Cale Redpath and Jason Sager, who both received one-year bans for missing post-race tests at the July 9 NMBS race in Deer Valley, Utah.
VeloNews: Why did you stop filling out the paperwork?
Jimi Mortensen: Well, I guess after the 2004 season when Specialized dropped sponsorship for our team, I said I'm not going to be on any team next year, so I would be pretty much semi-retired. I had a new business of my own and I bartend full time, and I was feeling guilty about having to win prize money to pay my mortgage. I was like, hopefully, my business takes off and I can start racing again before I get too old. I mean, I like the scene and I like to train. In 2005 my racing schedule was hardly anything. I did the Teva Games, two local races in Vail and the Vail 100 and RAAM. I was just doing whatever races I could do around here. So I was trying to get USADA to take me off of the [out-of-competition testing] list. I told them a couple of times, "I would really appreciate it if you would take me off the list. I'm not racing and you're wasting your time and money on me."
They told me I'd have to officially retire, and if I wanted to race again I'd have to fill out paperwork six months before the race and start getting randomly tested again.
So I let my paperwork slip, and when you do that it's an automatic red flag. This guy was late on his forms and so he gets tested.
VN: Did they send someone to your door?
JM: Yeah, and I was in Denver on a Sunday at my brother-in-law's wrestling tournament, and [the tester] comes and finds you where you're supposed to be, so the guy showed up in Eagle and I was at the Pepsi Center. [The testers] basically show up to your door and if you're not home they don't call you, they have a four-hour buffer and sit outside your house, and basically call you when the time is up and say you have missed your test. He called me when I was in Denver and I said, "If you're coming back through Denver, stop by the Pepsi Center and it'll be all good." But I missed the test. I should have had the foresight to know that I was going to be gone.
VN: So that counted as three missed tests for you. What happened next?
JM: They said I can't miss three tests in an 18-month period. I was like, whatever, I'm not worried. I wrote them a letter and explained my situation and said my results and the races I had done in the last two years. I told them I wasn't a cyclist anymore. I don't have a team, I've never had a doctor and I don't know how to use the drugs they're even testing for. They were like, "No, that's not good enough, so you're suspended for 18 months." I said I didn't like the sound of that, give me a hearing. I'm not going to waste time and money on a lawyer, I'm just going to go tell my side of the story [to an arbitration panel] and hopefully they'll understand my situation. That was kind of dumb.
VN: What have been the repercussions of your suspension?
JM: Looking back, I should have just retired. I can still do the Vail 100 and RAAM because they're not NORBA-sanctioned, but I can't do the local Vail races because they're NORBA now. That's a bummer because I've been racing in the Vail valley since 1996 and in Eagle County it's a big cycling community and everybody knows me and Jay [Henry] and Mike [Janelle] and I've never had any ding on my reputation, and now I look like a jackass for our county. They threw it on the front page of the Vail Daily. "Local cyclist banned for two years." The story was pretty much what I told you, but when you have a headline like that, I was totally screwed. I mean, that's how I pretty much ended my cycling career in my community, with people thinking I'm a doper. My friends are asking if I did it. I do construction for all of these guys in the valley who are cyclists, and now I'm losing jobs because I'm "the doper." I mean, anyone who knows anything about cycling knows that I'm not a doper. There's no way I could even access or use doping products. It was a huge joke until one day you wake up and see it on the front page of the paper. Then the joke was on me. If I would have foreseen that, I would have kept filling out those forms for the rest of my life so I wouldn't look like a doper.

1 comment:

gewilli said...

hindsight? 20/20

Ooops...

um... he wanted to keep racing NORBA events but he didn't wanna do what? fill out paper work and shit?

i dunno i feel for him a bit...

but...

not really...

Sanger? yeah... that guy got hosed...

this guy? he turned the hose on himself...